Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Quick Fix: Niu Rou Mian


Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, niu rou mian (牛肉麵) also known as beef noodle soup.  This quintessential Chinese/Taiwanese dish consists of braised beef soaked in a soy sauce-tomato broth and is complimented with Chinese sauerkraut and various greens such as spinach, green onions, bok choy, and more.  The niu rou mian shown above is actually a dry version where there is no soup base and the noodles are thick.

Ever since I've moved out to California, this has been a part of my every day diet.   Colorado's Chinese/Taiwanese population doesn't compare to that of California, but there is a particular place that does serve niu rou mian which is Lao Wang's Noodle House on Federal Boulevard.  The restaurant is owned by an old couple so the service is slow and parking is extremely hard to find, but if you are curious what niu rou mian is, then go there.  For me, it's the same feeling I had when I discovered pho!

I just recently had dinner with my boyfriend and his mom at a local Chino Hills Chinese restaurant called the Peking Deli, off the 71 near Chino Hills Parkway.  The Peking Deli is catered towards the Chinese palette which I love because the foods much more authentic and it reminds me of the times when I was in Taiwan the summer of 2008.  The beef was tender and juicy, the sauerkraut bitter, but it help compliment the entire dish.  I didn't care for the greens that they used but overall, it's good.  Flavorful.  Inexpensive.  Close to home.  Perfect for when I'm craving for this dish.  Nom nom nom...

<3 Lina Chen

4183 Chino Hills Parkway, Chino Hills, CA, 91709
909.393.0359

No comments:

Post a Comment