Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fluff Ice: It's so Fluffy!!!


Remember that cute little girl from Despicable Me and her reaction when she got the stuffed unicorn at the carnival?  Well basically that's how I felt when I first took a bite of the shaved snow at Fluff Ice!  Except it was only in my mouth!    Okay, okay not quite fluffy as in holding and squeezing a teddy bear per se but more along the lines of feeling cotton candy for the first time.  So light and airy!  It's the same concept, but instead of sugar, it is made from cinder blocks of ice.  Think of it as a frozen cotton candy dessert.

Now don't get this confused with shaved ice, which is completely different as far as texture.  Taste is difficult to actually measure because certain places may only use a cinderblock of ice without any flavor added to it; but the texture of snow versus ice is apparent.  At first you may not realize it, but once it enters the mouth, the sudden melting sensation just tingles every nerve of the tongue.  It's quite different from that of shaved ice.  It melts and it's cold too, but I feel that it really doesn't melt as smoothly as shaved ice does.  It's my first time Fluff Ice, but what I loved the most about this place is that they have flavored snow like froyo. I've also been to well-known shaved snow place called Class 302 near the Hacienda Heights/Diamond Bar area but it only has one option to choose from which means that the flavor comes from the toppings alone.

My friend Kean and I ended up sharing a medium, green-tea flavored shaved snow with bits and pieces of mangos and strawberries (the toppings that I wanted); red bean and mochi (Kean's choice for toppings) with a light drizzle of condensed milk added on top.  I tend to get fresh fruits with my froyos because it balances out the sugary goodness that you are taking in from the shaved ice.  It's like psychologically tricking myself that this dessert is still healthy if there's something that has a nutritional value to it.  The mochi and the red bean tasted phenomenal with the green tea shaved ice.  Those who aren't into the super Asian flavors, they also had these cool fruit poppers that resemble salmon roe that burst in your mouth, cheesecake bites, blue honey boba, taro pudding, coffee jelly, egg pudding, slivered almonds, and much more. 


This is the place to go for dessert if you are around Monterey Park off of Atlantic Boulevard.

<3 Lina Chen

500 North Atlantic Boulevard #153, Monterey Park, CA 91754
626.872.2123.  www.fluffice.com

No comments:

Post a Comment