Thursday, December 20, 2012

Yabby Hut

Needless to say my experience at Yabby Hut was more like "Crappy Hut."


As soon as you walk in, there is this potent cajun smell that fills the air of the restaurant.  It's strong, but it's absolutely great especially for a food-lover like me.  We were immediately seated at a booth where the waitress placed a big white sheet of paper covering the table and handed us plastic bibs with an image of a lobster in the middle.  There's no plates or utensils so expect a messy table with cajun spices all over your fingertips.
I ended up getting crawfish mixed in with their "Hot" (pro) cajun spices which was a bit more heat than what I had anticipated.  I can withstand spicy foods, this was a little unbearable.  The natural desire for it runs through my blood, but the "hot" was just too much to bear.  By the end of the night, the lining of my lip was red and plumpy as if I had undergone lip surgery and my tongue was on fire!  My best friend Sujin ordered the same thing as I had and all I can say is that she ate it like a boss.  So this is just a warning for those who like (or don't like) their foods extra spicy!
Once you order your food, the waitress will then bring out a big plastic clear bag full of yummy-goodness full of whatever you ordered whether it be craw fish, shrimp or other seafood items along with a cob of corn soaked in the spicy juices.  I guess what I didn't like the most is putting in the effort to get small amounts of meat.  In this case, that's what you have to do.  It's just not really worth it to me--taking the time to peel the shell, eat the meat of the body (which is so much smaller than the head), and to suck on the crawfish's head to get the brain juices (only if you like it).  According to the waitress It takes at least 2 lbs. minimum to fill an average persons stomach.  The crawfish were tiny and $8 per pound, mainly because we came during off season.  The value to me just wasn't there.
I feel like I had higher standards for Yabby Hut due to word of mouth of how "amazing their crawfish is" and the constant "I want to go to Yabby Hut" from others only skewed my perspective.  I won't completely disregard them since I feel like I haven't given them a fair chance, but I plan to go again only when the crawfish are in season, large, and actually worth eating.  I'll also make sure to order "mild" (amateur) instead of hot.  Also, I believe Yabby Hut is the original crawfish joint in Colorado, so there's really no other place to compare it to other than the Boiling Crab her in Cali.  Have to admit though, the Boiling Crab is better.  Hands down.


<3 Lina Chen
3355 South Yarrow Street  E-131, Lakewood, CO 80227
303.985.0231.   www.yabbyhut.com

3 comments:

  1. Coming from a fellow food blogger, I am actually a huge fan of Yabby Hut, but I tend to get the crab legs, shrimp, and sausage with the garlic medium seasoning. If you really want to try good crawfish, go to Pappadeaux in the tech Center during crawfish season. You get a ton of food for your money. I believe it was something like 4.50/per pound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yabbi hut is trash when it comes to crawfish. You'd never every see credits prepared that way in Louisiana or the south. The only real Louisiana crawfish I've had here in Colorado is from a food truck called Mile High Cajun. He even had a live one on the table so you knew they were fresh. Again as a southern transplants to Colorado I just can't eat Yabbi hut no matter how much I'm missing good Cajun seafood. Honestly if you want to try real authentic Cajun and creole cuisine try NoNo's in Littleton.

    ReplyDelete