Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mexican: El Farolito


This is as good as Mexican gets.

First of all I love this little town.  It has a genuine Mexican feel like you would see in the movies.  Okay, I can't say I've been to Mexico before but according to my boyfriends family, it reminds them of the little towns south of the border.  As we got there the lines were long (maybe 10 groups ahead of us).  We ended up putting our name on the list but roamed around the town in case if we found a restaurant that had less of a wait but was also suitable for our taste.



I'm glad we went back though.  This restaurants success is from the hard work that they put into it, but also stems from a strong family bond--love.  The food reflects that love.  Below is an image of their story which is displayed on the front of the menu...
"'El Farolito,' which meant to him ((Dad) the light of hope."
First their salsa and chips.  Chips were thick and extra crunchy.  I love ALL things crunchy so the chips were bomb-ski!  And once you dipped it into their spicy salsa, it was like a fiesta in your mouth.  Talk about it being SPICY!

Horchata is also a must for me every time I go to a Mexican restaurant.  It had a strong sweet cinnamon taste.  A great side drink if you want something other than water.  Although I have to say that this place ranks second as far as their horchata.  Maybe if they had real bits of cinnamon pieces like the one at Liliana's Tamales in DTLA, then they could possibly tie for first.  Just a suggestion if anyone from El Farolito is reading this.
Machaca de Carnitas
As far as entrees go, I wanted to try something new instead of my Meixcan favorites chile rellenos (which I absolutely love to death) or enchiladas so I got the machaca de carnitas...  First off, I must rave about their beans.  I dislike Mexican pinto beans (unless if it is in my Chipotle burrito) because they've always tasted like plain old mush with a muddy look that has always disgusted me.  BUT, I always take a bite regardless in hopes that there would be a restaurant that can prove me wrong and El Farolito did that.  I STILL don't like them but the beans here aren't bland.  They added something to it to make it tasty and rather desiring to eat.  It's still on the mushy side but the taste makes up for it.  

After my encounter with their beans, I knew this place was going to be good.  And it was.  I recall the pork being extra juicy and salty but once it was placed on the corn tortilla, with rice and beans, and topped off with their specialty salsa from their chips and salsa, it was pretty damn good.

Best Mexican restaurant I've been to in a very long time.

<3  Lina Chen

201 S. Bradford Ave.  Placentia, CA 92870
714.993.7880.

No comments:

Post a Comment