Sunday, January 6, 2013

Little Sandong Chinese Restaurant

Little Sandong Chinese Restaurant reminded me of my dad's Chinese restaurant.  We used to use the same place mats that is depicted in the picture below, but also our restaurant was called Sandong Restaurant.  This was long before when I was a little elementary/middle school.  Oh the memories.


Ahjangpi - Combination Plate with Vermicelli
This was the first time I've ever heard of ahjangpi.  It was good.  They served it with a side of Chinese mustard which I didn't care for but everyone else in my party ended up adding more of the sauce on their plates.  The picture above depicts the ahjangpi before it's mixed all together.  Iust wanted to show you their attention to detail cause technically they could have brought the dish out already mixed.


I ordered the jajangmyeon since that's what I used to eat at my dad's restaurant all the time.  Jajangmyeon, also know as black bean noodles, is an inexpensive, wheat noodle dish with a black, salty soybean paste mixed in with onions, vegetables, meat, and sometimes seafood.  For the longest time I thought jajangmyeon was a traditional Chinese dish (which it still is); however, after reading the history about it, the popularity of this dish didn't boom until it was first introduced in Incheon, Korea when the Sandong Chinese immigrants settled there during the Japanese rule in Korea.  he jajangmyeon above is the Korean-version which is wet, creamy, and dark black.

Little Sandong's jajangmyeon unfortunately wasn't as good as my dad's jajangmyeon when he owned his restaurant.  My dad's jajangmyeon has much more meat and veggies whereas this dish at Little Sandong has more noodles and black bean sauce which was a little too bland for my taste.  It did seem as though the owners at this restaurant were remodeling, but according to Yelp, they have 64 reviews, four stars, but people have commented that there has been a change in ownership so it might not as be as great as before.  Who knows what it is...

<3  Lina Chen

11740 Artesia Blvd, Artesia, CA 90701
562.809.3887.

No comments:

Post a Comment